Type SB2/Type SB2A
Heavy-duty Dual-cartridge Seals
The Safeseal Type SB2/Type SB2A is a dual-cartridge seal. Its double-balanced design ensures the reliability and longevity of the seal in the most demanding conditions. The Type SB2/Type SB2A seal is ideal for use with environmentally hazardous and abrasive fluids, most often used in pumps in pulp mills, minerals processing and other slurry duties up to 40% solids by weight and a solids hardness of 8 Mohs. The Type SB2/Type SB2A seal is widely used with other process equipment including agitators.
Several variants of the design available for different services:
- Type SB2 — designed for DIN standard dimensions
- Type SB2A — designed for ANSI standard dimensions
- Type SB2A-PR — designed for ANSI standard dimensions, including integrated pumping device
- Type SB2B — designed for big bore dimensions
- Type SB2B-PR — designed for big bore back plate dimensions
- Type SB2S — designed for special dimensions, including metric sizes
- Type SB2S-PR — designed for special dimensions, including integrated pumping device
- Type SB2 USP/Type SB2A USP – Add Upstream Pumping seal face technology to nearly eliminate water consumption, improve reliability and decrease power requirements
Adding Upstream Pumping seal face technology extends the life of the seal by combating severe-service conditions, including high-heat generation, low-lubricity and intermittent dry running conditions. By eliminating the need for a flush, USP technology nearly eliminates water consumption and decreases power usage. For more information on our Upstream Pumping technology, visit the web page.
Recommended for You
- California Residents: PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Seal faces are installed using a patented heat shrink process ensuring correct, distortion-free face alignment at all recommended temperatures.
- The springs are located in the stationary body of the seal in the seal water (barrier fluid). The seal water washes the springs, preventing process chemical corrosion and reduces the risk of the springs becoming clogged. Shaft misalignment does not vibrate or wear out the O-rings.
- PTFE slot rings replace the traditional O-rings in places where they are exposed to the product, preventing sticking.
- Protected faces, the seal face carriers are driven by machined fits, preventing metal stress from distorting the face.
- Patented double-balanced design allows the use of both pressurized and unpressurized seal water (barrier/buffer fluid) and prevents face overload.
- SB2 series seals will accept ± 0.080"/± 2.0mm axial movement (shaft end play) during normal operation due to their piston design. Impeller adjustments do not affect face stress or spring strength.
- Temperature Limits
- Pressure Limits
- Process pressure: 290 psi(g)/20 bar(g)
Barrier fluid: 215 psi(g)/15 bar(g)
- Speed Limits
- Standard Materials
- Seal faces: SiC/Carbon or SiC/SiC
O-rings: PTFE, EPDM, Viton, FFKM
Metals: AISI 329 and 316 standard, titanium, Hastelloy, UHB, 904, SAF 2507 for sea water applications
Springs: Nimonic steel
- Process pumps
- Other rotating equipment