Global Standardized Upstream Pumping Support System, Direct Connect Version
The Global Standardized Upstream Pumping Support System (GS USP) is an optimized, pre-engineered design based on John Crane’s fluid control expertise and engineering excellence. The GS USP is a best-practice solution that significantly reduces specification review and delivery schedules, delivering unpressurized barrier water for optimal mechanical seal performance and reliability.
The GS USP supports a dual mechanical seal using John Crane's Upstream Pumping (USP) face technology by controlling the continuous supply of clean water. The clean water is supplied to the seal at low pressure, where it is pressurized as it passes across the seal faces lubricating the seal. It features a pressure-reducing valve, instrumentation for monitoring pressure and a check valve.
This product is designed to match the performance limits of John Crane's standard USP seal products. Combining a USP seal with the GS USP unlocks access to significant reliability improvements and reduced running costs by reducing motor power and water consumption.
The GS USP-D is a modular design and can be upgraded with the following:
- Pressure gauges upgraded to pressure switches or pressure indicating transmitters
- Addition of a filter to the supply
- Addition of a pressure relief valve
- Addition of a heat exchanger
The GS USP-R, an alternate version of the GS USP, includes a reservoir of stored barrier fluid. The GS USP-R is more limited to the barrier pressure it can provide to the mechanical seal but contains a stored volume of barrier fluid which allows the seal to run for several hours if the water supply is lost.
For more information about John Crane's Upstream Pumping seal face technology, visit our USP web page.
Recommended for You
- Best-practice design delivers clean, low-pressure barrier water for optimal mechanical seal performance and centrifugal pump uptime
- Instrumentation to suit the monitoring needs of the user
- Connects directly to site water supply
- Able to supply a small pressure to the mechanical seal
- Safeguards against the toughest environments and provides full containment of volatile organic compounds for zero-emission control
- Streamlined design to minimize footprint and obstruction
- Allows reliable operation of a USP mechanical seal to achieve high reliability, zero-emission sealing of volatile or hazardous fluids
- Pressure Limits
- Supply: 42 bar / 610 psi
Design: 42 bar / 610 psi
Operation: 6 bar / 87 psi
- Ambient: 5°C to 60°C / 40°F to 140°F
Operation: 5°C to 80°C / 40°F to 176°F
- System Assembly
- 316 SS
- System Compliance
- Confirm process suitability for water barrier fluid
Confirm sufficient shaft speed to achieve USP spiral groove lift-off
- Arduous applications demanding pressurized barrier fluid
- High abrasives content
- Caustic process fluids
- Applications with known transient running conditions such as pressure spikes