John Crane Launches New TLKI Electrically Insulated T Series Coupling Variant
01 October 2021
CHICAGO (October 1, 2021) — John Crane, a global leader in rotating equipment solutions, supplying engineered technologies and services to process industries, today announced the launch of its new electrically insulated T Series coupling variant. The new TLKI coupling supersedes the existing TLKN with the following significant upgrades:
· Insulation moved from the hub to the transmission unit, eliminating installation challenges when using heat to install interference fit hubs.
· Insulation materials and dimensions are now compliant with electrical clearance and creepage distances specified in ISO 60664-1 (Insulation Coordination for Equipment Within Low-Voltage Systems) and pollution degree 3 for industrial applications.
· Increased maximum bore capacity in motor hub and redesigned motor hub bolting that won’t clash with equipment during installation and removal.
· Redesign of insulation plates to improve coupling runout.
Electrical insulation is used to prevent stray electrical currents travelling from one piece of equipment to another. In addition to acting as a safety barrier, electrical insulation is vital for extending the life of critical plant equipment by preventing electrical erosion in components such as bearings.
“The materials and dimensions of the new TLKI electrically insulated T Series coupling variant are now compliant with electrical clearance ISO 60664-1, and customers will benefit from the elimination of installation challenges when using heat to install interference fit hubs,” said Global Product Manager, Standard Couplings, Tony Platt. “The new design also increases maximum bore capacity in the motor hub and the redesigned bolting eliminates any clashing with equipment.”
Designed with a focus on operational efficiency and reliability, additional features of the new TLKI coupling variant include:
· Flexible solution for high torque and misalignment
· Meets API 610 (ISO 13709) and can be supplied to meet API 671 (ISO10441)
· Intrinsic balance meets AGMA class 9
· Excellent power-to-weight ratio
· Low imposed forces on machinery leading to reduced machinery vibration and maximized bearing life
· Stainless steel flexible membranes for maximum life
· Cartridge transmission unit eases assembly and gives repeatable balance
· Anti-fly retention of the spacer in the unlikely event of membrane failure
· Puller holes incorporated into hubs as standard
Additional information about John Crane’s new TLKI coupling variant including additional features, parameters and recommended applications, can be found here.
About John Crane
John Crane is a global leader in rotating equipment solutions, supplying engineered technologies and services to process industries. The company designs and manufactures a variety of products including mechanical seals and systems, couplings, filtration systems and predictive digital monitoring technologies. John Crane customer service is accessed through a global network of more than 200 sales and service facilities in over 50 countries. Global reported revenue for fiscal year 2020 was in excess of $1 billion USD. John Crane is part of Smiths Group, a global leader in applying advanced technologies for markets in threat and contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications, and engineered components.